The Town’s Founding: 1860 – 1885

1860

The village of New Baltimore is founded.

1861-1865

Henry Township, with a population of approximately 475 citizens, furnishes 30 soldiers to the Union Army. Nine of them die during the war.

B. L. Peters

B. L. Peters, founder and first mayor of North Baltimore

1873

The B&O Railroad comes to North Baltimore. The first ticket office is in B. L. Peters’ store but is later moved to a new depot in the center of town by the railroad tracks.

1873

Hammansburg is surveyed by W. H. Wood for William Hammond and Jacob Ackerman.

1873

The first brick school house is built at the northwest corner of South Second Street and West Water Street.

1873

North Baltimore’s first fire department is organized. B.L. Peters is the first foreman.

Frame home

Frame home built by B. L. Peters in the late 1850s

1874

Peters Crossroads is renamed New Baltimore, Ohio, but the name is soon changed to North Baltimore to prevent confusion with another Ohio village with the same name.

1874

The first Post Office opens. Lincoln F. Hudson is the postmaster.

1875

Dr. Eaton builds the North Baltimore Roller Mills.

1875

North Baltimore’s first newspaper,The North Baltimore Enterprise, is founded by B.L. and D.E. Peters.

1875

George D. Chase establishes the hamlet of Denver in western Henry Township, but settlement fails to flourish after the B&O Railroad locates its depot in North Baltimore.

1876

A petition for incorporation of North Baltimore is filed.

1876

On February 7 of this year, the village is officially incorporated. B.L. Peters is elected the first mayor.

Main Street North Baltimore, Ohio, circa 1884

Earliest known photograph of North Baltimore’s Main Street, circa 1884

1884

George G. Rockwell purchases the Eaton Roller Mills and renames the business as the Rockwell Flour Mill.

1884

North Baltimore’s second brick school house is constructed at 124 South Second Street.

1884

Henry’s Opera house is built at 129 North Main Street and is dedicated by Dr. A.G. Henry.

1884

A. H. Balsley establishesThe North Baltimore Beacon.

Comments are closed