The North Baltimore Area Historical Center has been operated since 1998 by the North Baltimore Area Historical Society. The Center’s extensive collections include artifacts, photos, and memorabilia including:
- A Civil War flag made by the women of North Baltimore in 1861
- An engraved 1892 Knights of Pythias Sword owned by 19th-century entrepreneur Dr. A.G. Henry
- The champagne bottle used by North Baltimore resident Carrie Swartz to launch a Liberty Ship on July 4, 1942
- Local school memorabilia such as photos, trophies, and yearbooks
- Displays dedicated to the town’s members of the military, fire fighters, police, and doctors
- A parlor and dining room furnished with vintage furniture and antiques
- Courtney Mays, President
- Margaret Bobb, Vice President
- Gwenn Mauk, Treasurer
- Paula Miklovic, Secretary
History of the Center Building
The North Baltimore Area Historical Center is located in an elegant Queen Anne-style house built in 1879 by Jacob Dirk, one of the prominent founders of the town, who owned the property at 229 North Main Street. It was purchased by local entrepreneur Jefferson Richcreek and his wife Martha in 1884. Richcreek is credited as the builder of the prestigious First National Bank building. He was also an undertaker and owner of a drug emporium, furniture store and other businesses.
The present Historical Center served as a private residence for many notable citizens of the community until 1948 when it was purchased by the Church of Christ. It was used as a parsonage until 1976, when the late William C. Ankney, Sr. bought the property for use as his insurance office. The North Baltimore Public Library Board of Trustees purchased the property from his widow, Doris Ankney, in June 1998 for use by the North Baltimore Area Historical Society.