The North Baltimore American Legion Post 539 donated the unit descriptive book for Company K, 2nd Regiment, Ohio National Guard to the North Baltimore Ohio Area Historical Society (NBOAHS) on July 25, 2013. Post Commander Sam Bretz recently found the 118-year-old book in a storage container at the North Baltimore Legion building, and the post’s board of directors voted to donate it. On behalf of the NBOAHS, Tom Boltz thanked the Legion Directors for their help in preserving the military history of area citizens.
The descriptive book is an important addition to the Historical Society’s archives and will be useful to historians and genealogy researchers. It contains Company K unit members’ grades (ranks), physical descriptions, occupations, residences, employment, and dates of enrollment from July 30. 1895 to July 30, 1900. The book is currently on display at the Historical Center.
In 1895, The Ohio Adjutant General’s office designated the unit as Company K, 2nd Infantry Regiment shortly after the Ohio National Guard authorized the activation and recruitment of members for a North Baltimore unit in 1895. The majority of the unit’s members were from North Baltimore. The unit was mobilized in April 1898 for duty with the US. Army in the Spanish-American War. However, the war ended before the unit had completed training. The unit was deactivated in the early 1900s during a reorganization of the National Guard.