The CSX Intermodal facility and the accompanying construction of the Liberty High Road overpass will soon cover the site of the old community of Denver.
George D. Chase, a Union Army Civil War veteran, founded the hamlet in 1875 in hopes that the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad would locate a depot there. However, that same year, the B&O decided to build the depot in North Baltimore (then called New Baltimore) one mile to the east. As a result, Denver failed to prosper and remained a small country crossroads. George Chase built and operated both a saw mill and stave mill in Denver, but these facilities eventually ceased operations after the supply of good timber in the area was exhausted. During the Oil Boom, there were several high-producing wells drilled in the area. George Chase owned one which produced $84 per day for its owner.
At its height in the 1890s, the hamlet contained a grocery store, a one room school, six houses, and a population of fewer than 40 people. Most of the hamlet’s buildings were located on the west side of the Liberty High Road, then called the Miltonville Pike. Chase’s sawmill and stave factory were built along the Deshler Road, now State Route 18. George Chase constructed a very large home for his family just north of the railroad crossing on the west side of the Liberty High Road. The house was locally famous for its fine oak flooring and walnut woodwork cut from native timber. This home burned in the early 20th Century and the site today is agricultural land.
Denver continued to exist until the early 1920s when the school closed and the grocery store shut down. In 1939, William King bought the land and promptly demolished the school house and the other original buildings. He then built several new houses and opened another sawmill which was in operation until the early 1950s. During this period, the area was called King’s Corners. However, over the last 40 years that name, too, has faded into history.